Today at my brother’s house, my little niece, Charlotte Ann, had a prayer/speech she had prepared. In it she wanted us all to think about what we were thankful for, and the plan was then to share those thoughts.
We never did get around to sharing our thankful thoughts. We were too busy eating and playing games and eating and yelling over each other to try to be heard and eating and laughing and eating and accusing the guys of cheating and eating and actually cheating ourselves. Until we were so full and so hoarse and so tired that we all scattered and went our own ways to our own abodes or wherever else we had planned to go.
The thing we didn’t do, of course, was share in our bounty of thankfulness. And bounty is an accurate description of the list of things to be thankful about:
1. My salvation through Jesus the Christ.
2. Family who love and fight and play and strive to make time to get together as our families expand and that time is more precious.
3. A home.
4. Plenty of food.
5. Work that provides me with a paycheck and work that must be done in order to keep a clean house, grow a garden, have a lawn… you get the drift.
6. The opportunity to help others whether it is monetarily or hands on.
7. Good choices.
8. Good doctors and staff that actually care about one’s health.
9. My church.
10. You guys who read my blog. 🙂
As I ponder on my good life, my heart cries for those who are in real struggles right now: mental health, the fight for life as they struggle with a disease, the loss of a loved one, drug addiction, sexual abuse, hunger, oppression of different forms…
God, pour mercy and grace upon these people. Give me direction to turn my thanksgiving into theirs as well.